Friday, November 30, 2012

Putting Christ back into Christmas

As we've been approaching the Christmas season, we've been talking as a family about the real reason for the season and trying to move the focus (even just a little bit) off the presents and back on to Christ's birthday. As I've been planning our advent calendar for this year (check out this post from last year) I was agonizing over how to make the activities more centered on Christ and less on the "fluff" of the holiday when my MOPS group discussed the e-book "Truth in the Tinsel" written by Amanda White. Once home I ravaged her website, Facebook page, Pinterest account, etc and finally felt a peace about how to teach "Christmas" to my son. I bought the book (a simple pdf) and ornaments template and got to work.

The focus of the book is to teach the Christmas story to little ones through reading and a fun craft each day. Each craft will make an ornament that focuses on a different aspect of the story - and the kids decorate your Christmas tree without having to buy all those expensive ornaments! (We're doing a real tree this year for the first time and I was worried how I would afford to decorate a much larger tree so this is a double win for me!)

We'll be making the ornaments each day and posting our completed projects here. If you want to follow along, check out Amanda's book "Truth in the Tinsel" and get your own copy (use the link on the right so I get credit for referring you). The crafts are simple and can be done with what you have on hand already. Even if you don't start right on December 1st, you can still pick up and join in on the fun.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment