Thursday, February 7, 2013

True Engagement

It's hard to believe that 10 years ago today my husband asked me to marry him.

It stops me every time I think about it: I've been with him for over 10 years! It's seems like such a big number compared to how long it feels. I really think we only just got married.

The wedding pictures might show a different story but our relationship feels as new as it did way back then. I still run to the door to greet him when he comes home. My heart hurts each time I hear the truck pull out of the driveway. Every diesel engine makes me look to see if it's him. I know I won't catch a glimpse of him on the highway but I still look. I have a special ringtone on my phone so I know it's him when he calls (and I always answer). He was my best friend back then and I'm completely dependent on him now.

One big reason I'm still excited about our relationship is I'm engaged in the relationship. I'm present in the day-to-day-ness of it. I look for reasons to put a smile on his face. I listen to what he's really saying when we're on the phone. I try to feed his soul every chance I get. And he does it for me too.

I leave him love notes and he sets the coffee up for me in the morning (he makes the best coffee). He vacuums before I get home with the kids on Thursdays so I don't freak out the baby. He does the laundry on the weekend and I fold his socks (trust me, this man is particular about his sock folding so this is a big deal!). He takes Nate to the dentist, karate and even out in the truck for a week at a time, just to give me some down time. This past weekend he let me go to a scrapbooking crop all weekend and just took over "mommy" duty. (Did I mention Grace isn't weaned yet?) This man is my hero.

Ten years ago, I was lucky enough to have found the man of my dreams (I had a list so I would know what he looked like). Then he wanted to spend forever with me. This is a relationship I am engaged in, for much longer than the Engagement before the wedding. I'm engaged for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment